RE: Torrents

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 16:27:19 -0400

You can choose from a number of torrent clients (just like you can
choose from any number of email clients).

The one I've found to be easy to use, full featured, and accessible from
jaws is called "Yet Another BitTorrent Client", but it's always
abbreviated by the initials ABC.

The latest version of ABC for Windows that I know of is 3.01.

Once you have your BitTorrent client running, and your web browser
running, you need to find a site that is hosting a torrent tracker.  One
such free site is:

http://demonoid.com

Although there are many others.

You then use this site to search for "torrent files" for the file that
you would like to download.  A torrent file sort of describes the name
of the file to be downloaded, along with it's size, list of component
files, and other information.  It's very small.

When you choose to download a torrent file for a file that you wish to
get via a torrent client, your browser will pass the torrent file to
your torrent client (behind the scenes) and your torent client will
contact the tracker involved and ask it if anyone is currently serving
up this file.  If so, it will begin to download it in the background.
One nice thing about ABC is that you can control what "in the
background" means exactly.

This is where having an always on internet connection is helpful, as no
one may be available at the moment to serve up the file you want.  The
most productive strategy is to have your torrent client looking for as
many files at once as you could possibly want, and just leave it running
all the time (checking on it now and again to see what it's found).

If you've got only a dialup connection, torrents may or may not work out
for you.  You could consider paying to belong to one of the large
tracking sites, which claim to have thousands of members constantly
online.  That might increase your chances and download speed.

Hth,

Chip

 (any opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not
=20