RE: Rolling Mandatory Upgrades - Phase 2 starting soon

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:49:22 -0500

Hi. Not necessarily. the announcement last week only spoke about the first phaze of upgrades, this newest one talked about more of what's going to happen. so in a way yes we knew about it, just not as much as we know.

At 02:26 AM 9/26/2007, you wrote:
We already knew all of this...?

Author: Inside Windows Live Messenger:

 posted by Rick

Hi everyone, Rick here again. As you know, we are in the middle of a multi-phase rolling upgrade of the Messenger network that started last Wednesday, September 12. I wanted to give you an update on where we are in the process and what's coming next.

The first phase of the Mandatory Security Upgrades focused on the Windows XP operation system and getting the rest of the XP user base onto Windows Live Messenger 8.1. Focusing on just XP has allowed our customer support teams to focus on Windows XP issues and it also reduced some of the network load created by the upgrades. We have seen some issues in these upgrades that we are trying to address in the <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.live.messenger>newsgroups and through customer support. Your postings to the newsgroups and this blog have been very helpful in directing our support efforts to those areas that are preventing usage of the 8.1 client. Thank you for your postings, and please continue to let us know what kind of issues you are seeing with 8.1 on XP and Vista.

In the second phase, we are turning on the Mandatory Security Upgrades for Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, and Windows ME. As noted in the <http://messengersays.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!5B410F7FD930829E!28949.entry>security bulletin, we have built a new version of MSN Messenger 7.0, build number 7.0.0820, that will run on Windows 2000. This version of MSN Messenger has also been tested for Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, and Windows ME. Users should expect these upgrades to start soon.

To recap, the set of Messenger clients that do not have the webcam security vulnerability are:
Windows Live Messenger 8.1  (for XP and Vista)
MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 (for Windows 2000 and Windows 98, SE, ME)
Windows Messenger ? all versions (XP only)
MSN Messenger 5.0 for Windows 95.
Microsoft Messenger for Macintosh (all versions)
and ... Windows Live Messenger 8.5 which many of you are using in beta form.

The third phase of the upgrades will focus on a small number of remaining clients that exhibit the webcam vulnerability. We're still working out the time line for this third phase, and we will keep you posted about when you can expect to see that upgrade roll out.

Again, please continue to send us your feedback.

Rick

----

If you have a comment on this post <http://messengersays.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!5B410F7FD930829E!25468.entry>please comment! For other questions/concerns/discussion topics/rants/raves/etc - please head over to the <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.live.messenger>Windows Live Messenger Newsgroup.

<http://MessengerSays.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!5B410F7FD930829E!29791.entry>View article...

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.