Re: RealSpeak Again... Has Anyone Else Found...

  • From: Chris Smart <chris_s@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 10:57:08 -0400

At 09:55 AM 7/6/2009, Kim wrote:

Has anyone else found that, when navigating sites or text using the Realspeak synthesizer, that it's a big more sluggish than, say, Eloquence?

Yes, the larger and higher quality the software synthesizer, generally, the more computing resources it requires. You'll notice similar behavior if you try the AT&T naturallySpeaking voices or Neospeech voices. Having these on a separate partition or hard drive may help, or using a faster computer.

Eloquence is snappy now, but I remember when it to, on the slower computers of a decade ago, wasn't as responsive as a good hardware synthesizer. I still prefer my TripleTalk for that reason - I know that my system is being slowed down as little as possible by my screenreader.

Chris

Alternative archives located at: