Re: Reading credit card numbers with Jaws

  • From: Bruce Toews <DogRiver@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 14:40:38 -0500 (CDT)

This is an example of screen readers and speech synthesizers outsmarting themselves. Back in the Apple days, the computer said large numbers as digits, period. Then they started getting smarter and pronouncing large numbers. Same with abbreviations. The problem is there are always exceptions to rules of when you want digits or full numbers, abbreviations spelled or expanded. In most cases it would be better if we just had the synth spell things out or read numbers as digits and let our own mind igure things out.

Bruce

--
Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he
gave the right to become children of God. John 1:12 NIV

Bruce Toews

On Mon, 1 May 2006, Steve Gomes wrote:

Jim I think you are  having jaws read the numbers the way way it is set at
freedom land factory. That is to say when you read a phone number it reads as;
two million seven hundred thousand etcetera. So what I do is go into the
configuration manager and go to set options. then to text processing. Hit enter
on that and tab around until you get to have jaws say numbers single digits
check that radio button and save the change. To have the change affect all your
programs after opening jaws configuration manager, hit control shift d for
default configuration manager.

skype name stevegomes web site www.rellek.com/stevegomes phone 720-747-4990 ----- Original Message ----- From: Jim Talley To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 12:25 PM Subject: Reading credit card numbers with Jaws

Hi fellow campers, do any of you know how to make JFW read large blocks of numbers such as in a credit card separately. I'm using Jaws7.0 with Win XP home. thanks in advance. Jim Talley (Coordinator) ASSISTIVE ASSOCIATES