Re: Question on using Jaws with Unix and other call center software

  • From: "Sean McMahon" <smcmahon@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:39:59 -0700

The best unix access is done directly on unix.  Emacspeak runns on all unixes
provided you have a hardware synth.  Software speech is only supported on some
unixes.  Braille with the power braille is also supported under unix with
brltty.  Speakup is another great alternative if you are working mainly with
console applications,on a linux system, and think that having access to startup
and shutdown .  A little more discovery into what type of unix and what type of
software will provide many answers.  My point in all this is while jaws provides
halfway decent support for unix via  remote connections, provided the terminal
settings are alright, and provided you are working in a console environment, and
provided that you are lucky enough to find a good jaws friendly telnet or ssh
application, you will never get the same access you get in jaws working on your
own desktop.  Working remotely with jaws connecting to a unix system will never
provide you with the panning and cursor routing and panning you probably enjoy
on your powerbraille.  In contrast, having a unix or linux system will whether
that be remote or on-site access.  My advice to you is discover what you need
first, try out the various telnet/ssh programs, setup linux and learn it, join
some linux revelant mailing lists and if you have time gradually learn both
methods of accessing unix.  Searching for emacspeak and speakup will give you
all the information you need for joining their mailing lists and get you in
touch with many more people who can help you far better than I can.