RE: Off topic Longhorn preview!

  • From: "jim grimsby" <jimgrims@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 01:06:52 -0700

hmm why do you say x p is the most speech friendly version of windows.
Because it is.

only win 95 allowed me access to safe mode, and for my money it was the=20
most speech friendly.
It crashed at least twice a day. =20
It has holes you could drive a truck threw.=20
It did not have msaa. =20
It use a less then accessible version of internet explorer.

not to mention it supported dos fully.
Most windows users to day do not even have any idea how to use dos.  So
for your average user it sort of does not matter.=20
also remember jfw 6.
Yes of course.=20
just came out when?
In december.
  well not until jfw 6 was remote desk top accessable, a feature in x p=20
operating system.
True but  this is not the hole operating system.  There were a lot of
programs that did not work under 95 that you can use now. =20
jfw 6 did not appear for a long time after the release of win xp.
Yes and this is not the fault of ms but the fault of fs.=20
so to say x p was ready out of the gate is not exactly true statement.
Xp had accessible tools built in from the gaited so it is most certainly
is.=20
p s most blind folks are not using the x p interface but are using the=20
older classic interface.
That is there fault.  The xp interface works just fine and there is no
reason not to use it.  I use it every day have done so for the last 3
years with no problem. =20
granted its their, but its not what most sighted folks are using. which
also means when you try to converse with sighted collegues that they=20
may be on a differant page than you are.
So what is the point.  I did not think the point was to be on the same
page but to get the job done.  We use are computers primarily from the
keyboard so we are never going to be on the same page.  We use screen
readers they do not.  We use speech they see icons.  Now saying all that
I support sighted users have done so scence windows 3.1 scence early
1993 so I do not see why using the computer a little different from them
would be a problem. =20

another negative to the x p o s with respect to blind users.
No only there choice not xp.
as far as long horn is concern, will comment when i see it.
That makes scence.  I can only say what I have herd in the past.  The
fact is that msaa is still there.  The fact is ms says they are going to
test it and are testing it with screen readers.  The fact is also that
ms claims that screen reader developers will be on the beta test team.
The fact is that they have been on that team scence 1992. =20
Now all that being said I am not a ms fan or hater.  I my self am
dabeling in linux do to the free software ideas and the fact that I want
to sell an os that will allow me to do what I want with it.  Also the
fact I can not keep shelling out money to use my operating system. =20
Mac is not an option I own 15 pc bassed computers at the moment.  So I
am not going to shell out the money for  replacing the hole home
network. =20
So for my money linux is the way to go at this time but I see no reason
not to give ms its do. =20
Hth=20