Need help installing Jaws 9

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JFW List" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:58:50 -0800

From everything people were saying, I thought this would be even easier than
usual. But no.

I downloaded the final release from the FTP site. I click on the exec file
and ran the install routine, whatever it's called now.

From what people had been saying, I expected more dialogue screens then I
got. Maybe it's because I chose Typical installation? But I didn't get that
part where they say you can set up the basics right while you're installing.
And I didn't even get a dialogue to choose run at startup, which I'm used to
from earlier versions. Nothing. I just responded to a couple of dialogue
screens, and then got a finish button.

I chose to restart my system manually, because I had to answer an email
before I did anything else. So then I exited all running applications and
chose restart form the shut down dialogue.

The computer took not seconds but minutes to finally go of, and then several
minutes more before the screen finally came back to life (I'm partial, so I
could see that). I sat there waiting for it to say that Jaws was ready, but
it remained silent. So I touched a reading key and it spoke. Said Task bar,
which is what I was focused on. Okay, so no announcement.

But by this time, I was curious enough to press insert J and look under help
to see which version had just launched. Yep. The same final update of
version 8 I thought I was replacing when I did the install.

Well, I'm stumped. Can anyone make sense of this scenario?

Thanks. By the way, I wouldn't blame anyone for wondering if I'd clicked on
the exec file for Jaws 8 by accident, but I didn't. The voice kept saying
Jaws 9 during the install. Honest.

P.S. Wow. Just to check if Jaws 9 had been installed even though it hadn't
launched, I went to add/remove programs in Control Panel to lsee if it was
on the installed applications list. Well, not only is *it* not there, but
Jaws 8, which I'm using as I type this, isn't shown either! Oddly, Jaws 7 is
on the list, which is fine but irrelevant to my present situation. Can
anyone help me make sense of this?whiich loo