RE: Looking for XP Drivers to Support Dectalk Express

  • From: James Homuth <james@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:55:17 -0500

For the record, JFW has supported the Deck talk Express since version 2.0. That was back in the day of windos 3.1, so you still ran DOS and needed the drivers for that. But from a Windows point of view it was supported.

James, List Admin
At 11:39 AM 2/27/2006, you wrote:
hi. JAWS has directly supported the dectalk express, right from version 3.0 on up to 7.0. So xp requires no drivers for it. It did if you were running the dectalk express under dos, but this is a completely different story.
So, your client will be able to plug in his dectalk express, install JAWS and it'll work right off. I also agree about upgrading to the most recent version, 7.0 if he can afford it. See, this is why it's unfortunate that people fall behind in their JAWS upgrades. But then again, money don't exactly grow on trees.
Either way, that's the real story. I've had my dectalk express since 1997 and it's worked under every windows operating system I've ever used, windows 95, 98 and xp home with no drivers, accept those that JAWS installs itself.

At 10:24 AM 2/27/2006, you wrote:
If he has the operating system of Windows XP Home or Professional he will
need to at least upgrade to version 4.01 (I believe), check the Freedom
Scientific website at: http://www.freedomscientific.com/

Though, I would advise your client/friend to upgrade to the latest version
which is 7.0. Again, you'll have to check pricing with Freedom Scientific
for upgrading and suggest that he also purchase a software maintenance
agreement (SMA).

As far as I know, JAWS has always supported the DEC-Talk speech synthesizer
and I don't know where or what kind of information someone has been feeding
him.

Cheers!

Aloha:
Milton M. Ota
1318 Kanewai Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96816-1718
E-mail: mota@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Website: http://home.hawaii.rr.com/mota
Phone: (808) 734-0612 / Cell: (808) 295-2528