Re: Jfw with Cygwin

  • From: "Sean McMahon" <smcmahon@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:50:39 -0700

Yeah, the cygwin setup program sux ...  If you hit the space bar on the view
button, use your jaws curser and the up and down arrows to scroll through the
list.  For a package you'll see something like graphic 441 ssh.  hitting the
jaws cursor left-mouse button on that graphic will toggle the state of that
graphic.  Now the example line might say graphic 300 install ssh 3.8p1-1.
Clicking on that graphic again toggles the state to re-install and another click
to uninstall.  For packages you have already, the line for that package will
show the version number you have and maybe the version it will be upgraded to,
assuming an upgrade is available.  Clicking on the graphic appearing before the
package name presents another choice to upgrade to the experimental version of
the package and then more clicking presents the other choices.  What I do is use
my jaws cursor to review all the packages that show up first, then use the
scroll down symbol to go down one line.  When on that line, I use the say
current line command to read the line again then I click on the scrolldown
symbol with the left-mouse key to go down the list.  When you are done, go back
to your pc cursor and hit enter on the next button.  When setup is almost done,
there will be a choice to create icons.  The choices are in checkboxes which are
checkable with the spacebar, but you can't tab to them.  You must use your jaws
cursor to view their state.  I'd like to make the view packages window function
like the win-98 installation, which has partial checked as a state because you
can have a state for currently installed, one for not installed and one for
fully installed if you don't have the full install for a category.
Unfortunately, if you go to the jaws class re-assign, it just sees the whole
class as a dialog, not what I want to re-assign.  There must be a way to
re-assign a portion of the whole window without screwing up the whole dialog.
Cygwin is a free and free source program, so If someone can get on the
development team or at least look at the source code, we could straighten this
out.  My suggestion is complain to the developers, the proper email address for
such complaints is listed on their website.  In the mean time, my question is
how do you make jaws behave properly with the type of controlls presented by the
cygwin setup program?  I hope some of my information helps you.  Sean