Re: Jaws Dictionary with names

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:02:39 -0700

Phonetically, the two seem to work the same, at least with my Eloquence.
Should be good enough.  I've got a file that's an inventory  of all the CDs
on my wall, listed alphabetically, category by category.  And because this
includes a lot of names, especially in the classical and world music
sections that it really annoys me to hear mispronounced pretty crazily by
Eloquence, I've had a lot of practice playing around creatively with
phonetic spellings in the Jaws dictionary.  And it mostly works out okay.  I
had to figure out tricks to change the accented syllable sometimes, which
can often be done, not by dividing the syllables, which creates an unnatural
gap, but by capitalizing the first letter in the syllable you want to
stress,.  You just have to experiment to learn how the synthesizer's mind
works, so to speak.  workAround city.  Note how I capped the "a" there, so
now it speaks the word as we do instead of saying "workaround."  Just a
lagniappe (lanYap, Louisiana Bayou Cajun French for "a little something
extra")

 by  contains a