Jaws 8 not saying "end of list"

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:03:24 -0800

Since installing Jaws 8 from the FS site and installing it a few days ago, I
find myself annoyed and inconvenienced by a number of odd behaviors compared
to my Jaws 7. I'm keeping notes that I'll use to eventually send a report on
all the flukes I find to Jaws tech support, but meantime, I'd be curious to
know if anyone recognized some of what I'm encountering. So here's one
example:

When arrowing down through a files list view, for instance a list of
messages in my Outlook Express Inbox, when I get to the last item at the
bottom of the list, it doesn't say "end of list," or "no more messages," or
whatever Jaws 7 would report at such a time. Sorry, too hurried to exit Jaws
8, load Jaws 7, and refresh my memory about the exact phrase.

Instead, the first thing that happens when I reach the end of the list, if I
arrow down once more when I've already hit what turns out to be the final
item, is that Jaws repeats the last item, making it appear in the case of
the Inbox that I have received two successive, identical messages from the
same source. If I up arrow an item or two and then come back down, this
repetition doesn't happen again, but I just get silence if I down arrow
after coming to the last item. the first of these behaviors is a real pain,
and the second is a lot less helpful than Jaws saying "end of list" or
whatever.

Does this happen to anyone else? Have I perhaps forgotten that there's a
setting somewhere in Configuration Manager that dictates what Jaws will
speak at the end of a list?

Thanks.