Re: Jaws 7.1 & IE 7?

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 08:56:11 -0700

Paul,
No, everything's fine.  If you keep reading yesterday's messages on this
list, you'll see my fairly comprehensive explanation..  No, never mind.
I'll just find it in my Sent Items folder and past it in.  Hold on...

I wrote:
Hi,

You may find some people using it already with the current Jaws version, but
the official plan is for Jaws 8, due out fairly soon, to be scripted to work
correctly with it.  Those who've tried IE 7 out with Jaws 7.1 say that it
doesn't work too badly, but some ordinary but important things are
difficult, like opening and arrowing through choices in combo boxes.  Maybe
a few other problems, too, but I've forgotten the details.

There may For those who hang onto Jaws 7. and 7.1, I'm sure someone will be
writing some scripts to customize it so it functions smoothly with IE 7, but
I haven't heard about that happening yet.

One important thing to note:  You may have heard that Microsoft will be
making IE7 available November 1 as an automatic high priority monthly
download.  That's true, but if you have any reason to be skeptical about
installing it for the time being, it isn't going to be forced on you.  With
the critical updates routine, you have the usual choice of checking what
updates are being offered and their purpose, including IE 7 at this point,
and declining to download and install it if you don't want it.  The only
reason they're putting it with the critical updates is because they've
incorporated a number of solutions to security issues that are integrated
with the browser now, and are enthusiastic about getting users to take
advantage of this.  But still, it's not mandatory to go for it if you're not
ready.

Hope this helps.