RE: JAWS reading full numbers

  • From: "emarquette" <emarquette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 14:12:32 -0500

David:
Even with an odd number of numbers, I prefer pairs.  The combinations
are just easier, for me, to remember.
Here is more than anyone wants to know about reading by pairs.  Below, I
have shown the numbers in odd groups of 3, 5, 7, and 9.  I have written
out the word translations below each.  JAWS basically just splits off
the first digit (in an odd-numbered list and pairs the remaining digits.
For example:
347
Three forty seven
97856
Nine seventy eight fifty six
4976218
Four ninety seven sixty two eighteen
919501872
919501872
To me, this is how I would intuitively read the number.  It also cuts
down on useless verbiage like hundreds, thousands, and millions.
Still, I would improve on the formula slightly.  For example:
19527
The above, with pairs on, reads, "one 95 twenty seven."
I would have translated it as, "nineteen fifty two seven," giving
priority to pairs in the teens.

Ed Marquette
930 West 34th St.
Kansas City, MO 64111