Re: JAWS 6 and up working with a few progs

  • From: James <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:20:00 -0400

The MIRC problem stems from the options that are set in the app itself. Go into the options dialogue box, and the check the "use multiline editboxes" option. It was probably already turned on in the other version of windows, possibly by someone else. That will solve that problem. I don't know about outlook, though, as I don't use it.

James,
List Admin

At 10:11 AM 8/26/2005, you wrote:
This question pertains to a few apps, and it concerns jaws 6 and up.

A few things have changed for me, namely the Operating system, and the
version of JAWS.  These two things may be contributing to why programs now
act differently.  My question will relate to Microsoft Outlook 2000 Pro and
MIRC specifically.

Let's start with Microsoft Outlook.  I don't know about other apps in the
Office 2000 Pro suite, because I only use Outlook.  When I had JAWS 5.0 and
5.1 with Outlook2k and Windows Millennium, I'd have my mail set up in
conversations, or topics.  If I didn't like one, I'd hit delete and it would
go away, all mails having the same subject would disappear from the folder
I'd have them going too.  When I delete the conversation my cursor was
sitting on, JAWS would read me the next conversation automatically.

Now with Outlook2k, JAWS 6.2 and Windows XP (SP2), things don't do the same
thing.  I have everything set up the same as with the Millennium machine.
When I hit delete on a conversation however, it just sits there.  The topic
is removed, but I have to press insert plus numpad 8 to read me the current
line, every time.  I'm wondering if there's something I need to do in the
script for Outlook itself to fix this issue.

My next app that's giving me problems now, is MIRC. Whe I had JAWS 5.0 or 5.1, with Millennium, I could hit up arrow, ad whatever I just sent to the channel, would appear back in my edit box where you do the typing. I could hit enter after pressing up arrow and resend the text I just typed. Also, pageUp and PageDown would move me up and down a page in the history of that channel. It was great for locating something that was said earlier in the conversation. Now, with XP (SP2) and JAWS 6.0 and up (which I have 6.2) ... this does not happen. I hit up arrow and nothing. I hit pageUp and nothing. I notice that if I route JAWS to PC, and right-click on the scroll down symbol at the bottom of the screen, I get a context menu that has options like: scroll here scroll up scroll down top bottom pageUp pageDown and maybe a few others.

What is this nonsense all about, and can I fix this, too.

I think that's all the issues I have relating to certain apps I use.  If I
find anymore, well, I'll be sure to let you all know.