IE 7.0

  • From: "John Ramsey" <stephnjohnny211@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 00:56:33 -0400

Hello All,

I received the following email message and wanted to pass it along. I don't
know if this is just an opinion of if there is a problem with JFW 7.0 and
below. The message is:

From: Mary Durbin

I just received the following information and wanted to pass it on.  This is
also for Zoom Text users.  Those using Jaws 6.0 and below will not be able
to use the internet at all with the new Internet Explorer update.  So please
do not download it yet.    Mary

Yesterday, Microsoft began the official release of Internet Explorer 7.0.
It's method of release is through the automatic updates features of Windows,
and on November 1st it will be part of the monthly critical updates that are
released with the monthly patch package. The complication to this scheme is
that most assistive technology packages will not work well with IE 7. Jaws
7.1 will work, except for the combo box features. Previous versions of JAWS
will have much greater complications. When Jaws 8.0 is released it will be
compatible with IE7 but that will likely not be for several weeks.

So, how do you avoid waking up and discovering you no longer have access to
your browser? One solution would be to go into "Control Panel", "Automatic
Updates" and set them to "Notify me, but do not download updates". You will
have to be on the look out for IE7 in the Critical Updates next time
Microsoft issues a patch. You can then block the download of IE7 until you
are sure you have a screen reader that is compatible with this browser. Just
a suggestion to avoid unnecessary grief!

Take care,

John