RE: Heading level styles in Word 2003

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 12:11:43 -0400

Hi Bill,

Yes, the various styles, including heading styles, often (usually) do
look different from one another.  They don't have to, but they usually
do.

If you want to edit a style, you can choose the format menu, and then
the styles and formatting choice.  This will open a styles dialog in the
task pane area off to the right (I think) of your document window.

This pane lets you control which styles appear in the list of styles,
create a new style, and of course there's the list of styles itself.
You can find the one you're interested in, right click it or use the
context key to get the context menu, and choose the modify choice to
change it.

The modify choice brings up the style editing dialog.  In there you can
change the definition for the style, and this in turn will automatically
change everything in your document which has that style applied to it.

The only thing to remember when editing a heading style is to not change
the defined outline level.

It's more complicated if you want to change, all the heading styles, and
do it in such a way that it will be used for any new documents you've
created.

This would mean that you would need to change the style inside a
template, and then create your documents from that template in the
future.  By default, Word uses the "normal" template for all new
documents unless you choose otherwise.

Check a Word book for instructions on editing a style within a template
(I think I've sent you Word e-books, but if not, I do have them if you
need some).

When you're done in the style editing dialog you can click ok and I
think you'll return to the style pane.  You can use f6 and move back and
forth between this pane and your Word document, or you can close the
pane by unchecking the choice under the view menu for  the task pane (it
became checked when you opened it by choosing the styles choice from the
formatting menu, which opened the task pane).

hth,

Chip

Chip Orange
Database Administrator