Re: Getting JAWS 5 to work with MSN Messenger

  • From: "Sean Randall" <sean-r@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 00:02:22 -0000

Howdy Bruce.

I'm not particularly high-up in the scripting experts hierarchy, but I
believe there are a lot of hooking functions with regards to the internal
access of text in certain applications.
At a rough guess, I'd say that MSN 6 renders text on screen completely
differently to MSN 5 - and while it may look visually the same or similar,
the internal accessing of that data is radically altered.
You might compare it to a pdf document where the text has been typed or a
page of print has been scanned and stored as an image.  To the sighted
user, these are one and the same.  But to a Jaws one, there's differences.

If you want my personal advice, go to a different client or protocol (as
mat said, the IRC to MSN gateways are great but for file transfers).
There are numerous other clients out there too - they have also been
mentioned.

While I'm personally using MSN 6.2 and windows XP, I have an IRC bot
running through an IRC to MSN gateway and if you are an IRC user, it's
great to keep in touch that way (and you can more easily manage, but
that's my personal opinion).
Question though: if programs like talking messenger and smart butler
can get this text, why can't Jaws?
Why can't a programmer come up with some sort of program to pass the  text
to Jaws?  Admittedly, it wouldn't be the same but it is certainly an
option.

If anyone needs help with using IRC to MSN, feel free to contact me
off-list.
I'm around on Skype and messenger
seanrandall being the skype ID.
I hope this has put the problems into some sort of context for those who
are finding it difficult to get the reasons for the  lack of support.

Microsoft are being themselves - many of you probably know that they are
only giving Internet Explorer security updates to XP users now.  Support
for the older OS's is dropping, I only recently myself went to Xp and
although it took me for ever to get set-up, my system works just fine now.

I can see why people don't want to upgrade: in my case, I took advantage
of a neatly timed hard drive death and got the new OS along with a new
drive.
It's not that easy for some - those who've upgraded are cushy and happy
(unless they're moaning about command-prompt applications), and those
still using older windows versions are increasingly being left out of
Microsoft's picture.
Right, I've said enough now.
I was only going to make the analogy about MSN text and printed pdf pages
and now I've rambled on far too long.

Ciao,
Sean R.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.