Re: Excuse Me Guys, Can Anyone Of You share Cracked JAWS 8.0.2173?

  • From: "Tom Lange" <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 20:17:35 -0800

Hi,
If it was intended to be a joke, it certainly wasn't in the best of taste.  If
not, the guy had a lot of nerve posting something like that. Oh well, at least
he didn't post a link to a cracked version out there on the web somewhere.
That happened about five years ago, right around Christmas of 2003, when the
list was fairly active with a thread in which people were fussing about the
price of JAWS.  This guy posted a message which said in essence, "ha ha, I've
got this cracked version, and oh, by the way, here's where to find it".  Being
slightly bored and killing time on the day that I saw that post, I was
naturally curious about how the cracked version worked, so I went over to have
a look.  My first clue that there would be trouble was when I got to the web
site and found a lot of porno stuff.  Buried amidst all that garbage was the
link he referred to, pointing to the cracked version of JAWS.  I should have
stopped right there but no, I had to see it through, so I downloaded the file
in question.  I didn't run the executable, just stashed it away for a later
look.  Very soon thereafter, my system started making these strange clicks and
was beset with pop-up windows about five to ten seconds apart.  . I couldn't
get a damn thing done with all those pop-ups going on, so I ran Ad-Aware to
kill whatever got on my system.  Spybot didn't kill it either.  After two days
I was so frustrated that I was ready to unplug the machine and pitch it off of
my balcony into the alley below for cars to run over it. To make a long story
short, I found a program called Pest Patrol, which finally killed the nasties
that wreaked havoc on my poor computer.  All in all, it was an experience and a
lesson that I won't soon forget.

Tom