Re: DSL Modem/Router Accessibility

  • From: "Dave Durber" <d.durber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 20:31:58 -0400

Hello Garry:

when we signed up for Verizon last year, I asked them for a basic modem,
because at the time, I had recently bought a Linksys wireless router.

They sent me a smart modem instead.  I turned off all the smart features of the
modem so it would behave as a basic modem.  I did this as I had already set up
my router with all the port assignments and port forward functions to work with
my network and I did not want to waste a lot of time getting to know a new
interface.

The only thing I had to do, was to change the routers base IP address.  I had
to do this because the modem and the router by default, shared the same base IP
address.  By increasing the value by 1, following the second dot/period in the
base IP address, solved the problem of the modem and router trying to share the
same base IP address.

As has been said by other users of Linksys routers, I also find the web
interface very easy to use with a screen-reader.

HTH

sincerely:

Dave durber