Changing Search Locations in Windows Search

  • From: "Thomas J. Hesley" <pulse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 20:20:13 -0500

One way to add to the list of locations that Windows Search indexes is to do
as follows:

1)  Minimize all windows so that your desktop is in focus.

2)  Press the F3 key.  The Windows Search window appears.

3)  Maximize this (the Windows Search) window.

4)  TAB until you hear the announcement "Tool Bar Close Button.  To
activate, press the SPACE bar."

5)  Press the SPACE bar to close this tool bar.  The tool bar closes.

6)  Then, TAB until you hear "Combo Box: All Locations".

7)  Then, press the down-arrow key until you hear "Add Location".

8)  Select this item in the search locations combo box.  The "Browse For
Folder dialog" box appears.

9)  Navigate this box until you find the folder you want to add to your list
of indexed locations.

10) Select the folder you want to add and then TAB to the OK button and
press it.  The "Browse For Folder" dialog box closes.  The folder you picked
is now on your Indexed Locations list and Windows Search will begin to index
it.

To remove locations that you no longer wish Windows Search to look in for
files, use the procedure as follows:

1)  Minimize all windows so that your desktop is in focus.

2)  Press the F3 key.  The Windows Search window appears.

3)  Maximize this (the Windows Search) window.

4)  TAB until you hear the announcement "Tool Bar Close Button.  To
activate, press the SPACE bar."

5)  Press the SPACE bar to close this tool bar.  The tool bar closes.

6)  Then, TAB until you hear "Combo Box: All Locations".

7)  Then, press the down-arrow key until you hear "Remove Location".

8)  Select this item in the search locations combo box.  The "Browse For
Folder dialog" box appears.

9)  Navigate this box until you find the folder you want to remove from your
list of indexed locations (also called Search Locations).

10) Select the folder to delete and then TAB to the OK button and press it.
The "Browse For Folder" dialog box closes.  The folder you picked is removed
from your Indexed Locations list. Windows Search will no longer attempt to
look in these locations once removed.

If you've changed the letter for a disk drive that is listed in your Search
Locations list, and you still want Windows Search to look on that drive,
then you must remove the paths from the Search Locations list that mention
the old drive letter, and then add them again with the new drive letter.

Tom Hesley