CDex Settings using Jaws

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JFW List" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:15:37 -0700

Dear Boris, Shannon and anyone else who might wish to understand what Jaws
is saying in the CDex settings dialogue:

(Note:  F4 will bring this dialogue up without your having to go to the
menus.)

To make it simple, I'm going to list the settings that a knowledgeable and
generous guy named Kevin on the PC-Audio list suggested and explained to me
and others recently.  These choices have worked very nicely for me, so far
as my ears can tell.  And as I play a couple of instruments and love music
dearly, those are pretty critical ears, so these suggestions ought to work
for you, too.

The settings you may wish to understand more about if only out of curiosity
might be the choices of high and low bit rate, and the choice of variable
bit rate (VBR),average bit rate (ABR) be.  There's some explanation in the
help files, but it's a little confusing at a couple of points.  Not the best
documentation, even though it's trying to be user friendly, so to speak.
Might be better just to ask about these things on the PC-Audio list so
someone can explain better.

You might also like to look at instructions on the Helpful Hints page of the
JFW Lite Web site

http://www.jfwlite.com

One item there might interest you, which I'll paste in here:

Open the settings dialoguewith F4 , and control tab to the file name
dialogue.  Here you can specify the folder where you want to put wav files
to be compressed and also the folder where you want tracks to be stored
after

For example (Daniel speaking again), I have this set so that c:\my music is
the destination folder.  So when CDex rips an album, as I think I explained
in an earlier message, here's the pathto where the new files end up:

C:\my music\artist name\album title

Okay, now here are the settings I use:

thread priority  above normal

LAME encoder, first in list

leave box unchecked so ripped .wav file will be deleted

version MPEG I (first in list)

bit rate minimum 128

bit rate maximum 320

J-stereo radio button, check

leave the following four checkboxes unchecked

quality level high (3 of 13)

on-the-fly encoding unchecked (in on-the-fly encoding, the tracks are ripped
directly to the compressed format.  While this is faster, it can allow
errors, whereas the method of making an intermediate .wav file from which to
create the compressed file, then deleting it, can result in more accurate
results.) means

vbr method: default

vbr quality zero (highest)

Leave the rest of the default settings undisturbed.

tab to OK and press Enter to save the settings.

Hope this helps,

Daniel