Re: Blind Access Link at Amazon changed?

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:06:53 -0700

Hi Dave,

I just went to this link, and though what it brings up isn't quite as
minimal as the page you describe having used before, it's awfully simple,
nonetheless, compared to the regular Amazon site.  And I found it no trouble
at all.  The combo box for choosing to refine a search from the first page
opened fine when I pressed Enter to go into forms mode, then pressed alt
down arrow to open the combo box and go through the items.

The list of global navigational links to various departments is very
abbreviated compared to the normal links list on a regular Amazon page, but
even that isn't much trouble if you just know which link you're looking for,
and press the initial letter of the category whose link you want to go to.

I didn't pursue this far enough to find (or not find) the familiar popular
music search function where you can input artist, album title, label, and so
forth, so I can't be sure what happened to you here, with this problem.

But if I'd pursued it, I would've done what I do on the regular Amazon
site,.  That's to find the music link, click on it, and when the page loads,
find the music search link.  On the regular Amazon site, that takes you to
the page where that search function is.  And you get to it efficiently by
pressing the letter F to go from form field to form field, and arrive at
that search form after just a few presses.

One more thing:  Are you aware that the simplified site you've been using
isn't intended as a blind service, but rather as a pared-down mirror site
whose displays are simplified in order to fit more comfortably into the
small video screens of devices like Blackberries, web-browsing cell phones,
and such?  Also, I learned by experience that it isn't exactly identical to
the regular Amazon site, in ways that you might care about.  For instance, I
don't know if this still pertains, but for a very long time after Amazon
introduced Super Saver free shipping, nothing about it appeared on that
simplified site either amidst the listings of merchandize nor during the
checkout procedure.  And I think there are other elements missing, as well.

In any case, I checked out that link you provided, and found the page it
brought me to easily navigable.  Maybe you're having some other sort of
trouble with Jaws?  I wouldn't know what to guess.

Hope this helps.