Re: Adobe

  • From: "Adrian Spratt" <A.Spratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 14:22:01 -0500

An important point to remember about Adobe, or PDF, documents is that they aren't all the same, and the way to handle each kind is different. Sometimes, as Barbara Ann said, there's a convert to text option in the file menu. Sometimes the file menu gives you an opportunity to copy to the clipboard, from which you can copy the resulting text into a word processor. Some PDF files simply can't be read by JAWS.

The most recent version of Acrobat Reader, which is 8, has made PDF files much easier to access. I find it converts to a screenreader file much more quickly than before. After that process, JAWS either will or won't read it. If it won't, chances are the file is graphical, and so it will be necessary to resort to other methods, like the ever useful sighted assistant.