Admin: A reminder to the list.

  • From: "James Homuth" <james@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:36:41 -0400

Recent discussions on here have prompted me to remind everyone involved of a
subtle, yet important, difference in precisely what would be considered
on-topic for certain programs, websites etc. The prime example of exactly
what I'm referring to can be found in the thread entitled "Twitter is not on
topic". Which, on the whole, is an accurate statement. I'll explain why.
Yes, I understand this is something a few on the list make use of, much the
same way as they do facebook, myspace etc. However, this list isn't a place
to be exchanging Twitter/facebook/myspace etc details so you may find each
other on the services in question. The list is here for the sole purpose of
addressing accessibility/compatibility issues between certain
websites/programs and JAWS for Windows. It is important to highlight that
difference again. Discussion of who uses or does not use the website(s) in
question, and what the said individuals' credentials are for the purposes of
locating and connecting with them on these website(s), are not the focus of
this list. If you want to exchange details, feel free to do so in private
emails. If you want to address some issue you have accessing the afore
mentioned websites, programs or services, feel free to share your concerns,
as well as your suggestions for solutions, with the list. If, such as in
Laura's case, it involves an alternative means of accessing the site that,
in your opinion, is more JAWS friendly, then great. An example is the
suggestion put forth not that long ago that those having difficulties with
the facebook page give their mobile site a try, due to the fact it seems to
behave better with JAWS. That wasn't a question of usage, but rather a
question of accessibility. One that, I believe, was raised on this list more
than a few times. And that's what this list is primarily here for. I don't
mind discussions. In fact, I encourage them. I'm even a fan of the
occasional debate. But the primary focus of the list has been and should
continue to be JAWS for Windows, and its compatibility with the currently
available programs, websites and services, with or without modification to
either. There are more generalized lists available for discussion of
computer usage, be you blind or otherwise. I'm quite certain there will be
many members here who, if requested, will provide subscription information
for the said lists. And I will provide information on a few myself. Let's
try to keep the list more on the JAWS friendly side of discussions, where
possible. And as always, if you're unsure whether or not something would be
considered off-topic, don't hesitate to mail me privately regarding it. I
would much rather see you do that than to post it to the list only to have
me ask everyone to direct their replies to you via private email. Hopefully
this clarification settles things for everyone. If you have any questions,
feel free to send them to me privately.

James,
List Admin