Re: Ad-Aware definition up dates

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 08:25:05 -0700

Hi Bryan,

Sounds as if you did everything properly. Here's how to reassure yourself
that the new definition files installed as they should have. When you launch
AdAware, you're probably focused already on the Status button. Just press
the space bar, and either with regular navigation or using the Jaws cursor,
you should find the first line of the message that comes up to be a record
of your latest update files. Just see if the date is more recent than it
used to be.

Now, if following these directions doesn't make that line appear the first
time you press enter on Status, just hit Escape to close the notice and then
press the space bar again. I don't know why, but sometimes you have to do
that, and then the notice comes up with the first line as the definitions
file information.

And don't forget to do that installation without AdAware running, of course.
But I think you knew that. By the way, this also is probably something you
don't need to be told, but the reason you're asked to permit the copying
over of files (not a "defss folder," in my experience, but a file named
defs.ref) is that Lavasoft keeps using that same name for the file as they
update it. That's all. It's a good sign, not evidence that you're making a
mistake.