[jawsscripts] Re: jawsscripts Digest V6 #162

  • From: Paul Bonarrigo <pjbonarrigo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 12:12:50 -0700 (PDT)

New Topic for the day. Word forms and multiple languages.
I've created a Bilingual form, English and Spanish.
If the form is not protected, language detection works with Jaws.
If the form is protected, which it will be, Jaws speaks everything in whatever
language is currently set.
I am using the paragraph method as opposed to the help properties method.
Better said, a protectedform field preceded by a paragraph of around 240
characters or less, causes Jaws to say the paragraph as the prompt.
This is true if there is no overriding help text set in the form property, and
yes, this is the case.
I was hoping that Jaws would pick up the language change automatically.
Freedom Scientific support has claimed over the years that this is the
way protected forms work; no language support.
I was hoping Office 2010 would change this but didn't.
So for question number 1, I just want to confirm that this is still the way
things work.
If so, I would like to script language detection myself.
So for question number 2, I would like to override the scripting code where
Jaws speaks the form prompt.
SayWindowPrompAndText exists in Word.jss but it looks like I have to override
some lower script.
Does anyone know what JSS file contains the SayWindowPromptAndText script that
eventually processes the protected form's prompt text?

Here's an example: Hold out your hands, palms up and say, Ven acá, come here.
I'll probably use some special character to mark the beginning and end of
Spanish language.Here's an example: Hold out your hands, palms up and say,
â??Ven acáâ??, come here.
For Jaws users, I placed a special arrow before and after the Spanish, Ven
acá, to specify start and end of Spanish.
Paul Bonarrigo

________________________________
From: Scott Huey <shuey@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [jawsscripts] JAWS and FocusVisible effects
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 19:42:34 +0000

This is my first time posting to the List, so please bear with me. Short
version of my question, in case anyone technically minded has a snap answer:
Does JAWS 13 have any method for tracking the FocusVisible effect in a .NET
program?
The long, explanatory version:

I'm working on scripting an application here at my place of employment which
includes several "table" objects which JAWS is unable to recognize as a table.
Arrow key navigation in this table only sort of half works: up and down cause
the entire row to be read, left and right as far as JAWS is concerned do
nothing. But that's not the whole story. Delving into the UI using both the MS
Inspect SDK tool and JAWS own Utility Mode has revealed that the individual
cells and rows of the table cannot take keyboard focus. The keyboard focus
proper latches onto the top level object (the pane containing the table data)
and stays there. When I visually inspect of the table, though, I can recognize
both a highlight effect on the whole row (which explains JAWS recognizing
change and speaking on pressing the up and down arrows), and a dotted line
visual around the text inside the individual cells of the table, which moves
freely with arrow key navigation. I must
 importantly note that the app
lication itself scrolls the table up, down, left and right based on this dotted
line "focus", so the application is definitelytracking the movement that JAWS
cannot see.

I've done some digging on the internet and determined that this effect is
officially known as the "FocusVisible" in accessibility terms. JAWS obviously
doesn't natively recognize it, but I'm hoping someone out there might have a
sense of how I might script JAWS into tracking the effect. I'm hoping to not
have to use the Invisible cursor for this particular application, since this
effect is also used to scroll the tables and it won't work to tether the
cursors since true Keyboard focus never moves from the center of the table.

------------------------------

From: "Jim Snowbarger" <Snowman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [jawsscripts] Re: Can I use perform script at a variable?
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 15:11:02 -0500

Curious about the difference between RunScript and PerformScript. Aren't
they essentially the same?

Also, if you don't care about a function's return value, and don't need it's
actions performed in sequence with  your code, you can do this:

var
    string sFunct

Let sFunc = "MyFunction"
Or, if you want to run a script, you can say:
sFunc = "$MyScript"
ScheduleFunction (sFunc, 0)

Key is that ScheduleFunction takes a string variable.

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 16:16:31 -0400
From: Doug Lee <doug.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

RunScript allows a variable where performScript does not.

When I said I use "this method" to call scripts, I was actually
thinking of the use of "$" to call a script, with or without
scheduleFunction. Sorry for the confusion; I sorta mixed two things
into one there.

__________???

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:36:23 -0800
Subject: [jawsscripts] Re: JAWS and FocusVisible effects
From: Soronel Haetir <soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx>

Unfortunately the simple answer is that if the program does not
implement the accessibility API this sort of thing is an incredible
paint.  Even worse is that the older .net winforms gave a great deal
of support for these events natively but the newer WPF makes each
program do much of the work itself.

Honestly, depending on the program it might be more productive to
contact the application developer and explain the issue.  Adding such
support to the program code is usually far easier than writing scripts
for this sort of focus tracking.  And if the program developer does it
then it does not matter what screen reader the user has, unlike with a
script solution which is tied to a particular product.

On 7/26/12, Scott Huey <shuey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is my first time posting to the List, so please bear with me. Short
> version of my question, in case anyone technically minded has a snap answer:
> Does JAWS 13 have any method for tracking the FocusVisible effect in a .NET
> program?
> The long, explanatory version:
>
> I'm working on scripting an application here at my place of employment which
> includes several "table" objects which JAWS is unable to recognize as a
> table. Arrow key navigation in this table only sort of half works: up and
> down cause the entire row to be read, left and right as far as JAWS is
> concerned do nothing. But that's not the whole story. Delving into the UI
> using both the MS Inspect SDK tool and JAWS own Utility Mode has revealed
> that the individual cells and rows of the table cannot take keyboard focus.
> The keyboard focus proper latches onto the top level object (the pane
> containing the table data) and stays there. When I visually inspect of the
> table, though, I can recognize both a highlight effect on the whole row
> (which explains JAWS recognizing change and speaking on pressing the up and
> down arrows), and a dotted line visual around the text inside the individual
> cells of the table, which moves freely with arrow key navigation. I must
> importantly note that the app
>  lication itself scrolls the table up, down, left and right based on this
> dotted line "focus", so the application is definitelytracking the movement
> that JAWS cannot see.
>
> I've done some digging on the internet and determined that this effect is
> officially known as the "FocusVisible" in accessibility terms. JAWS
> obviously doesn't natively recognize it, but I'm hoping someone out there
> might have a sense of how I might script JAWS into tracking the effect. I'm
> hoping to not have to use the Invisible cursor for this particular
> application, since this effect is also used to scroll the tables and it
> won't work to tether the cursors since true Keyboard focus never moves from
> the center of the table.

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

From: Scott Huey <shuey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 20:49:17 +0000

The upside is that it's a .NET 2.0/3.0 application (I too know the pain of
trying to get JAWS to do anything with a WPF app) and at least as far as my
environment goes JAWS is a given. Downside, the developer definitely is not
interested in recoding with accessibility in mind at this time. We've already
been down that road on other pieces of their software suite (a proprietary
software phone which, ironically, was WPF based), and I think they're just too
small an operation to want to spend on R&D for what they consider a small
subset of their market.
As far as API support already in the program, I haven't yet identified any MSAA
or UIA  events that shifting the visible highlighting throws. MSAA, in fact,
is probably going to be an avenue I need to avoid with this application, since
it's constantly inundated with refreshes and updates from the program (it
basically flash updates every data display element in the UI once a second). I
suppose I could always figure out how to modify the restriction boundary
functions to handle the scrolling and use the invisible cursor to simulate real
table navigation.

From: "Tony Hernandez" <tonyhspeaks@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [jawsscripts] clicking a column header in a listview
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 17:23:15 -0400

Hi.
I've been looking around some and can't find a function that will let me click
the column header in a list view to sort the list by that  column.  Is there
a quick and dirty way to do this?  JAWS 13, XP Pro SP3.

Tony

------------------------------

From: Scott Huey <shuey@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [jawsscripts] Re: clicking a column header in a listview
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 21:56:39 +0000

Depends largely on the program the list is in. ClickObjectByName() might work.
It may also be possible, if that doesn't work, to set the active cursor
restriction to the list object's window (or a frame) using GetWindowRect()
and  passing those values to SetRestrictionToRect(), activate the JAWS cursor,
and perform a JawsPageUp() call followed by a LeftMouseButton(). If all else
fails, using FindString() and hunting for the header name would work, but
obviously that can be error prone depending on the window if the list titles
are very simple and common words.

Personally, if I couldn't attach to the object directly, I'd do the cursor
restrictions. Assuming the list has its own window element (or parent object,
since GetObjectRect() would work here too), the meat of a script function I'd
make would look like this:

Var handle hwnd, int ileft, int iRight, int iTop, int iBottom
GetWindowRect(hwnd, iLeft, iRight, iTop, iBottom)
JawsCursor()
SaveCursor()
RouteJawstoPC()
SetRestrictionToRect(iLeft, iTop, iRight, iBottom)
JawsPageUp()
LeftMouseButton()
SetRestriction(RestrictNone)
RestoreCursor()
PCCursor()

The only real hitch you get there is HOW you get hwnd, since it probably needs
to be a parent above the level of the list objects. If the List Contents is a
window its own, you can't just use GetCurrentWindow() or GetFocus(), because
the restriction will wind up stopping the cursor right underneath the headers.

From: "John Martyn" <johnrobertmartyn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 16:56:59 -0700

Not sure, but you can't put a perform script in a variable.
John Martyn

__________???

From: "Mr. Alexander Scott Kaiser" <alexander.kaiser@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [jawsscripts] latest update of aim 7.5 not working with the latest upd
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 23:10:29 -0400

Attention List:
Hi my name is Mr. Alexander Scott Kaiser with an aim compatibility question.
Does the latest release uppdate of aim 7.5 work with the latest release update
of jaws 13.0? I am having a problem with aim not cooperating with jaws. What
Can I do to trubble shute this problem? I uninstalled and reinstalled the
latest updated release of aim 7.5 and I just recently updated my computer to
the llatest release of Jaws 13.0. What Can you do to help me?
Sincerely,
Mr. Alexander Scott Kaiser
P.S. thank you and your help is greatly appreciated

End of jawsscripts Digest V6 #162