[jawsscripts] Re: [jawsscripts]

  • From: Soronel Haetir <soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 13:00:14 -0900

Jackie,

I got the idea that he was talking about running java on the server,
not client side hosted applet.
Manoj Singh

As for the screen reader APIS, I believe that is entirely the wrong
way to go about the stated task.  Produce the pages in the w3
recommended way and accessibility tools should simply work.

On 1/12/14, Jackie McBride <abletec@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, Manoj. Well, first let me say thanks for wishing to make your web
> application accessible. The fact that you're using Java may create
> some difficulties, especially for those who don't have the Java Access
> Bridge running. It also creates difficulties for those of us who feel
> Java is entirely too insecure to have running in their browser, but I
> guess that's a different story for another day.
>
> You may find accessibility documentation in the following places:
> www.w3.org/WAI/
> www.webaim.org
>
> The FSAPI.dll has been available since Jaws 10. However, having said
> that, Jaws is not the only screenreader, & most web developers now in
> fact use NVDA to test accessibility of their apps, both because it's
> free & open source, & because it tends to catch more accessibility
> flaws. Those of us at Make Wordpress Accessible tend to use it more
> than the others, I can attest to that.
>
> I hope others will reply to your query. Have a blessed day.
>
> On 1/11/14, Manoj Singh <respond2manoj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have my WEB application developed in Java/ J2EE, HTML5, CSS3 with
>> Struts
>> framework. Now to support Barrier-Free accessibility we want to integrate
>> our WEB application with JAWS. My approach is to convert all the images /
>> graphics used  in the application to alternative text or HTML elements so
>> that it can be uniquely identified by the JAWS.
>>
>> As I am totally new into this, could anyone please guide me where I can
>> get
>> the APIs available for JAWS and relevant documentation of API
>> implementation which can help me get started with the integration task.
>> Your help is highly appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Manoj

> Jackie McBride
> Author of the Upcoming Book
> “Beyond Baffled: the Technophobe’s Guide to Creating a Website”
> Web Hosting & development: www.brighter-vision.com
> Jaws Scripting training
> www.screenreaderscripting.com

Soronel Haetir