[jawsscripts] Re: [jawsscripts]

  • From: Jackie McBride <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 13:57:47 -0700

Hi, Manoj. Well, first let me say thanks for wishing to make your web
application accessible. The fact that you're using Java may create
some difficulties, especially for those who don't have the Java Access
Bridge running. It also creates difficulties for those of us who feel
Java is entirely too insecure to have running in their browser, but I
guess that's a different story for another day.

You may find accessibility documentation in the following places:
www.w3.org/WAI/
www.webaim.org

The FSAPI.dll has been available since Jaws 10. However, having said
that, Jaws is not the only screenreader, & most web developers now in
fact use NVDA to test accessibility of their apps, both because it's
free & open source, & because it tends to catch more accessibility
flaws. Those of us at Make Wordpress Accessible tend to use it more
than the others, I can attest to that.

I hope others will reply to your query. Have a blessed day.

On 1/11/14, Manoj Singh <respond2manoj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have my WEB application developed in Java/ J2EE, HTML5, CSS3 with Struts
> framework. Now to support Barrier-Free accessibility we want to integrate
> our WEB application with JAWS. My approach is to convert all the images /
> graphics used  in the application to alternative text or HTML elements so
> that it can be uniquely identified by the JAWS.
>
> As I am totally new into this, could anyone please guide me where I can get
> the APIs available for JAWS and relevant documentation of API
> implementation which can help me get started with the integration task.
> Your help is highly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Best Regards,
> Manoj

Jackie McBride
Author of the Upcoming Book
“Beyond Baffled: the Technophobe’s Guide to Creating a Website”
Web Hosting & development: www.brighter-vision.com
Jaws Scripting training
www.screenreaderscripting.com