[jawsscripts] Re: backslashes and their purpose clarified?

  • From: Jackie McBride <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 08:14:21 -0700

Bob:

Ok, well, as I stated in my post, this was an old C trick & I learned
c back in the times when the dark ages seemed like a renaissance. At
that time, u  were pretty much told to always escape an apostrophe or
a double quote, so I kind a do it reflexively now, rather like when
the doc hits my knee w/the reflex hammer. In fact it's so reflexive
sometimes I find myself putting a backslash before an apostrophe in my
word processing documents lol. Pretty bad, isn't it?

Jaws doesn't really recognize the apostrophe as a legitimate way to
enclose characters like C does. What I mean by that is that Jaws
doesn't have a different designation for character v.s. string, as in
c. In C, for example, the following is perfectly legitimate--expected,
in fact, whereas Jaws would throw an error:
char c;
c = 'a';

So, truthfully, u could probly actually get away with:
let s-text = "Dan's Mom's name is jan"
But here is an example where a backslash escape character would be mandatory:
let s-text = "Jim said, \"I don't like all this escape character business.\""

Having said that, it doesn't do any harm to escape the apostrophe.
Does that help?

On 5/20/10, Julio and Los  pintores De La Cumbia <jmorones@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> wrong email address
> sent from My t-mobile dash 3g.
> Julio Morones
> Nickname Soda-pop
> Email Address jmorones@xxxxxxxxx
> Skype jmorones03
> Klango Sodapop
> Windows Live Messenger only jmorones03@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Mobile Phone You can text as well. 323-842-0104

Change the world--1 deed at a time
Jackie McBride
www.abletec.serverheaven.net
Please join me Saturday, 11/7, on my walk against breast cancer by
making a donation at:
http://main.acsevents.org/goto/larkspur>