[jawsscripts] Re: Word 2010 script

  • From: Doug Lee <doug.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 11:03:50 -0400

Ah yes, the simple script commands you want to add should work without
what I call script chaining, as you say. Identifying footnotes and
comments could be done by adding commands also, but you'd need to
understand parts of Word's object model, and possibly some of the
built-in JAWS script code, to pull those off I think.  Off the top of
my head, I believe the footnote one would require you to figure out
which "story," as Word calls it, your cursor is in. I don't remember
exactly how to get that done, but it should be possible. In fact I'm a
bit surprised that's not already available, so my first suggestion
would be for you to check in Quick Settings in JAWS 13, or Verbosity
Options in JAWS 12 and older, for settings that might make JAWS
announce that sort of thing already.

Best of luck.

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 03:33:19PM +0100, David Newman wrote:
Doug,

oof!
Definitely nothing as complex as changing Behaviour like that.
Mostly it's simple ways of doing multiple normal tasks (some of which
can already be done with multiple keystrokes) which are done frequently
enough to need to be slick. The subject script here, for example,
reduces a tedious key sequence to analyse document size to 3
keystrokes.  Alternatively they may be scripts to get round things that
don't work (which is faster than waiting for fixes).  I do have lots of
scripts running in pre-scripted programs already.

My scripts are simply added to the normal script file and never
'interfere'.

However, there are some features (which won't interfere) which I haven't
found a way into yet, and once apparently simple stuff fails you can't
tell if it's you or bugs that make complex stuff not work.

So, to answer you, usually very straightforward routines, but other
stuff might include
- being able to tell I'm in the "footnote pane", which Jaws clearly
knows about, but I can't make it tell me (yet!).
- making Jaws tell me the first line of a comment (bug) and hence, also,
knowing when I'm in a comment.
and so on.

But you can see here part of the 'outer' problem - we are getting lots
of bright ideas for things, but they all veer off the original simple
problem ie:-
Is that little script correct according to the documentation, and if so,
why doesn't it work?

Thanks for joining in,
David

On 25/06/2012 14:57, Doug Lee wrote:
> I should sort of warn you that it is a bit trickier to script an
> application that Freedom Scientific has already scripted, because you
> have to make sure that your own scripts mesh properly with those that
> already come with JAWS. Word is such a case: FS includes Word scripts
> with JAWS, so you would have to work your scripts in with theirs. This
> can be done in a couple of ways, each having its pros and cons.
>
> First though, I think it would be most useful to us if you could tell
> us what functionality you want to add by writing scripts. That might
> help us figure out the best way to make it happen. If you just want to
> add some commands of your own, it really won't matter much which way
> you do it. If you're trying to alter JAWS' behavior as you do things,
> add or modify automatic speech, or do anything else that might involve
> intercepting a JAWS event, it will be time to talk about chaining
> script files together.

Doug Lee, Senior Accessibility Programmer
SSB BART Group - Accessibility-on-Demand
mailto:doug.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.ssbbartgroup.com
"While they were saying among themselves it cannot be done,
it was done." --Helen Keller