[jawsscripts] Re: JAWS and FocusVisible effects

  • From: Soronel Haetir <soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:36:23 -0800

Unfortunately the simple answer is that if the program does not
implement the accessibility API this sort of thing is an incredible
paint.  Even worse is that the older .net winforms gave a great deal
of support for these events natively but the newer WPF makes each
program do much of the work itself.

Honestly, depending on the program it might be more productive to
contact the application developer and explain the issue.  Adding such
support to the program code is usually far easier than writing scripts
for this sort of focus tracking.  And if the program developer does it
then it does not matter what screen reader the user has, unlike with a
script solution which is tied to a particular product.

On 7/26/12, Scott Huey <shuey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is my first time posting to the List, so please bear with me. Short
> version of my question, in case anyone technically minded has a snap answer:
> Does JAWS 13 have any method for tracking the FocusVisible effect in a .NET
> program?
> The long, explanatory version:
>
> I'm working on scripting an application here at my place of employment which
> includes several "table" objects which JAWS is unable to recognize as a
> table. Arrow key navigation in this table only sort of half works: up and
> down cause the entire row to be read, left and right as far as JAWS is
> concerned do nothing. But that's not the whole story. Delving into the UI
> using both the MS Inspect SDK tool and JAWS own Utility Mode has revealed
> that the individual cells and rows of the table cannot take keyboard focus.
> The keyboard focus proper latches onto the top level object (the pane
> containing the table data) and stays there. When I visually inspect of the
> table, though, I can recognize both a highlight effect on the whole row
> (which explains JAWS recognizing change and speaking on pressing the up and
> down arrows), and a dotted line visual around the text inside the individual
> cells of the table, which moves freely with arrow key navigation. I must
> importantly note that the app
>  lication itself scrolls the table up, down, left and right based on this
> dotted line "focus", so the application is definitelytracking the movement
> that JAWS cannot see.
>
> I've done some digging on the internet and determined that this effect is
> officially known as the "FocusVisible" in accessibility terms. JAWS
> obviously doesn't natively recognize it, but I'm hoping someone out there
> might have a sense of how I might script JAWS into tracking the effect. I'm
> hoping to not have to use the Invisible cursor for this particular
> application, since this effect is also used to scroll the tables and it
> won't work to tether the cursors since true Keyboard focus never moves from
> the center of the table.

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx