[jawsscripts] JAWS and FocusVisible effects

  • From: Scott Huey <shuey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 19:42:34 +0000

This is my first time posting to the List, so please bear with me. Short
version of my question, in case anyone technically minded has a snap answer:
Does JAWS 13 have any method for tracking the FocusVisible effect in a .NET
program?
The long, explanatory version:

I'm working on scripting an application here at my place of employment which
includes several "table" objects which JAWS is unable to recognize as a table.
Arrow key navigation in this table only sort of half works: up and down cause
the entire row to be read, left and right as far as JAWS is concerned do
nothing. But that's not the whole story. Delving into the UI using both the MS
Inspect SDK tool and JAWS own Utility Mode has revealed that the individual
cells and rows of the table cannot take keyboard focus. The keyboard focus
proper latches onto the top level object (the pane containing the table data)
and stays there. When I visually inspect of the table, though, I can recognize
both a highlight effect on the whole row (which explains JAWS recognizing
change and speaking on pressing the up and down arrows), and a dotted line
visual around the text inside the individual cells of the table, which moves
freely with arrow key navigation. I must importantly note that the application
itself scrolls the table up, down, left and right based on this dotted line
"focus", so the application is definitelytracking the movement that JAWS cannot
see.

I've done some digging on the internet and determined that this effect is
officially known as the "FocusVisible" in accessibility terms. JAWS obviously
doesn't natively recognize it, but I'm hoping someone out there might have a
sense of how I might script JAWS into tracking the effect. I'm hoping to not
have to use the Invisible cursor for this particular application, since this
effect is also used to scroll the tables and it won't work to tether the
cursors since true Keyboard focus never moves from the center of the table.