[jawsscripts] Frustration With A Tab Control

  • From: "Homme, James" <james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:38:32 -0400

Hi,
I'll try to explain how this works. If someone has any ideas about how to
tackle this, please pipe up.
I'm using a program that has two sets of tab controls. I'm only interested in
one of them for my purposes. I want to pretend like I'm dealing with a multi
page dialog. In reality, I'm not. Here's what happens so far.

When I'm on the tab controls, arrow keys move me back and forth and speak the
selection focus lands on. I coded this specially, because when it happens,
focus actually jumps off of the tab controls. I jump it back there after a
short delay to allow the control to switch, and I turn speech off and on again.
It works pretty well.

The second and third situations are what I want to take care of.

If I land in the program from outside it, I want to find my tab controls and
speak the selected one. I want to write a separate function to do this. This
will take care of the third situation, which is this.

I want to make the selected tab control speak when I use Control + Page Up and
Control + Page Down from within the program.

I am unsure exactly where my tab controls are in the window hierarchy of the
program. I think I may be lucky in that they are using MSAA to show the tab
that is selected. I think that if I can reliably get at the tab controls from
anywhere in the program, I can simply speak them and go about my business, but
I'm not sure of the best approach. For example, can I count on them being in
the same place from invocation to invocation of the program? If not, how do I
distinguish them from the other set of tab controls and make sure that I find
the tab controls I'm interested in, then speak them?

Thanks for any and all help.

Jim