[jawsscripts] Re: Element attribute values.

  • From: Chad Foster <chad.foster@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 09:26:26 -0400

No problem - glad to help. To make this available across browsers and
platforms, the key assignments need to go into Default.jkm, and I
recommend placing them in the [Quick Navigation Keys] section. Also, I
would find an alternative assignment as has already been suggested.
Perhaps something along the lines of 8 and SHIFT+8.
If you dump these assignments into a section other than Quick
Navigation Keys, then you will need to insert some logic for
determining/ensuring we are using the Virtual PC Cursor, and we are in
an IE_Server window.

Also, I would suggest placing some messages in your script in the
event that no navigation has occurred e.g. no accessibility links are
found. And I believe that anchors should be in all upper-case if
memory serves correct, but you say it is working so it should be okay,
but I would make them the proper case as a safety net.

HTH,

Chad

On 5/4/09, Sean Randall <seanr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Léonie,
>
> The  "use virtual.jsb" statement appears in default.jss, which makes
> everything in virtual available in default.
> The trick is that whereas keys on scripts are usually either assigned to
> common, desktop, or laptop keyboard layouts, these scripts are assigned to
> "quick keys".   I'm assuming that whenever the virtual cursor is on and
> focus is in an  appropriate web-based control (i.e. a web page, chm window,
> pdf document etc) then  these keys become active.
>
> This means that keys like "e" for edit and "f" for form don't get triggered
> in general circumstances but are available when the cursor mode is right.
> You could manually edit the JKM file to amend your chosen keystrokes to this
> section; which is what I ended up doing for Thunderbird.  In that instance I
> edited thunderbird and not default, of course, so for instance in normal
> cases F moved between form fields but only in thunderbird did F move to the
> next unread message, or whatever the key was supposed to do.
>
> If you're customizing for the web you may want to decide whether you're
> aiming for a "global" virtual change, or just a "browser"  one (where you'd
> modify firefox and IE rather than everything).  The latter means that you
> might not grab all browsers that render in standard HTMl controls (perhaps
> some chm reference materials would use the accessibility value and you'd
> have missed out). On the other hand, you'd be ading an extra key to
> everywhere virtual pc is used, which might not be what you want.
>

> Hope that clarifies some, shout at me if not...
> Sean.

Chad Foster
Access Technology Solutions
Leveling The Playing Field Through Technology
http://www.GO-ATS.net