[jawsscripts] Arrays

  • From: "Jim Snowbarger" <snowman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 21:17:50 -0600

If you want to call a function, and have it generate an array of data and
return it back to you, what is the right way to do that?
According to the script manager, it seems that a function can not have an
array data type, so apparently you can't return an array.   Is that correct?

So, do you need to pass the array in by reference, and modify it inside the
function?

If you do that, I presume the array needs to actualy be created with the
"new" statement out in the calling function.  For example:

Var stringArray s

S = new stringArray[30]

myFunc(s)

But, in this example, you would need to be able to declare the function
parameter as a byRef array.  And,

According to the script manager, a parameter can not be of an array type.

But, the following fragment of jibberish will compile, but does not work.

void function x(stringArray byref s)

s[0] = "hello"

EndFunction

Script test ()

var

   stringArray a

SayString ("beep")

Let a = new stringArray[5]

x(a)

SayString (a[0])

EndScript

Compiles great, but doesn't speak the word, hello.

The following also compiles, and it doesn't work either!

stringArray function x()

var

   stringArray s

s = new stringArray[5]

s[0] = "hello"

return(s)

EndFunction

Script test ()

var

   stringArray a

a = x()

SayString (a[0])

EndScript

Can somebody set me straight here?  How is this supposed to be done?

Thanks.