[jaws-uk] Re: pen drive

  • From: "Phil Medway" <philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 15:53:47 +0100

Hi again Susan,

There are a few more things you might try before assuming that your data is
lost:

1.    Try plugging the drive in to a different USB port.  It may be that the
port connections are damaged or just dirty.

2.    Select but don't open the drive in my computer and then press
alt+enter.  This will open the properties of the drive.  You can then use
the Jaws cursor to read the details including how much space is on the drive
and how much is used as well as how many files and folders are on the drive.

3.    Open the drive properties as in 2 above then press control+tab until
you reach the tools tab.  Now, you should be on an item which says "Check
now".  This is a button which will open a dialogue to check the drive.
Check each of the items in the dialogue and press enter on start.  The
checked items will try to recover bad sectors automatically.

Many flash drives have a light which only flashes while data is being
transferred to or from them so the fact that your drive's light went off is
not necessarily significant.

I hope that some of this helps.

Regards,

Phil Medway