[jaws-uk] Re: Title attributes on links

  • From: Nick Breakell <nickbreakell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 16:06:40 +0100 (BST)

Thanks Tink,

I'll encourage people to use the "graphic within a link" approach - if they
really need to include the extra info, but to find another way round if they
can.

Thanks for your help,
Nick

Tink Watson <tink@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Nick,

It isn't possible to configure Jaws to read both the screen text and the
title attribute of a link simultaneously. It can only be configured to read
one or the other.

The available options for reading links are as follows:

*Screen Text.
*Title.
*OnMouseOver Tooltip.
*Longest.
*Custom search.

Whilst the first 3 options are apparent, Longest will search for each
link attribute and read the one with the longest value, and the Custom
Search simply searches for each link attribute, in a custom defined order,
and reads the first one it comes to.

At present, the best practice for making information available about
popup windows is to include a graphic within the link, as well as the screen
text, and use the alt attribute to convey information. Or to make the
information plainly visible as part of the link text. Ideally, popup windows
should be avoided all together, not only for the benefit of screen reader
users, but also for people with cognitive impairments and anyone who
actively dislikes the things. *Smile.

Regards,
Tink.