[jaws-uk] Title attributes on links

  • From: Nick Breakell <nickbreakell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 15:28:58 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone could tell me how you can get JAWS 6 to read out both the
link text and the title attribute for an HTML link.

The reason that I ask is that a lot of web developers use the title attribute
on textual links as a means of imparting additional information to screen
reader users that is not displayed visually.

The two most common examples are using the title attribute to say that the link
target will open a new browser window - or, if there are a lot of "more" links
which will not make sense in a screen reader, using the title attribute to
indicate what each "more" link refers to.

The common perception is that JAWS will read off the link text first, followed
by the title attribute.

But I've never been able to figure out how to get JAWS 6 to do this. The
configuration options seem to enable you to read off either the text link or
the title attribute, but not both.

I'd be very grateful if someone could tell me:
a) is there a way of configuring JAWS 6 to read off both the text link and the
title attribute?
b) if so, do many people use this option?

Thanks for your help,
Nick Breakell

 Yahoo! Messenger  - want a free & easy way to contact your friends online?