[jaws-uk] Re: Reading Tables in Windows Command Line Interface (JAWS 9.0)

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:18:08 +0100

I don't think there is anything in any documentation that relates to
your rather specific situation.  The best I can offer is that Sight and
Sound are official UK distributors and support for JAWS and if anyone
wishes to query this they can come to me.

When you are scanning an MS-DOS applicatino all you have is text,
nothing else.  It took many years efven then to reliably pull text from
screen and BIOS calls in those days but in the end all you ended up with
was text.  In Microsoft Word, PDFs or even HTML webpages JAWS is able to
pick up embedded information from the source that is not visible to the
user, it then processes that information and by so doing can detect
where there is a table, whether the text has an attribute etc.  None of
this information is available through any MS-DOS application at all.
None of the MS-DOS screen readers likewise were capable of detecting
this kind of information, they could sometimes make guesses perhaps by
screen colour or something else visible on screen, indeed most
applications like word processor of the days were not WYSIWYG (what you
see is what you get) therefore detecting an attribute would be difficult
at best.  Likewise tables if they were available at all were literally
drawn, no information existed to tell the screen reader you were on a
table.

We sometmes bemoan what we have at the moment as not all that we would
wish but just thinking about that again makes me realise we have come
quite some way in less than 15 years.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support
www.sightandsound.co.uk

Mail:
Tristram: tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Technical: Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
General - info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone:
Support line: 0845 634 7979

Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a company registered in England
and Wales, with company number 1408275.

Sight and Sound Technology
Welton House North Wing
Summerhouse Road