[jaws-uk] Problems With Jaws 6.0 - Memory Leak Suspected

  • From: Caroline.Ford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:36:04 +0000

Hello,

I looked up the Microsoft knowledge base article 224982 which George
recommended, and although it refers to NT and I am using Windows 2000, it
does seem to cover the problems I'm experiencing with Jaws 6.0.

I have also kept opening Windows Task Manager to see what is happening in
there and have noticed that the memory usage for jfw.exe creeps up
gradually.  When I first load Jaws, its memory usage is around 14,988 K,
but when my system starts to become unresponsive, the memory usage for
jfw.exe is up to 68,168 K.  At this stage I unloaded Jaws with Insert+F4
and re-loaded it immediately, and the memory usage in Task Manager for
jfw.exe was down to around 14,988 K again.  Is it usual for programs to
take up more and more memory the longer they are loaded?  I wouldn't have
expected such a large increase in memory usage myself, and the technicians
I have spoken to now suspect a memory leak within Jaws which is accounting
for it needing more and more memory as time goes on.

If memory leakage could be the problem, is there anything, as a user, that
I can do to claim back the lost memory, rather than repeatedly unloading
and re-loading Jaws?  And from the figures I've quoted, would anyone agree
that a memory leak is definitely the cause of the problem?  I am now right
up to date with service packs for Windows 2000 and have even applied SP4
twice, just in case it didn't work properly the first time.  I then
uninstalled Jaws and re-installed it, just to make sure that the files
within Jaws were properly installed over the new service pack.  Nothing has
helped the situation though.  I'm running fairly standard software on this
PC with Office 97 and Lotus Notes 5 being the main additions to the
standard Windows components.

I know this thread has gone on for some time now, but I'm still hopeful of
getting Jaws 6 sorted out on my PC and don't really want to have to revert
to Jaws 5 if there's a chance of sorting out the problem.

Regards,

Caroline.

Confidentiality: This communication contains information which is
confidential
and may be legally privileged. It is for the exclusiveuse of the intended
recipient(s).  If you are not the intended recipient(s), please note that
any
distribution, copying or use ofthis communication or the information in it
is
strictly prohibited.

immediately and then destroy any copies of it.

Opinions, conclusions and other information in this e-mailthat do not
relate
to the official business of North Lincolnshire Councilshall be understood
as
neither given nor endorsed by it.

Communications will be monitored regularly to improve our service and for
security and regulatory purposes and therefore you should neither expect
nor intend any e-mail to be private in nature.

Viruses: please remember that the Internet is not a 100% secure
communications medium. Although we have taken steps to ensure that this
e-mail and attachments are free from viruses, we advise that in keeping
with
good computing practice the recipient(s) should satisfy themselves that it
is
free from any virus or other harmful component as we do not accept
responsibility for any loss or damage it may cause to your computer
systems.