[jaws-uk] Re: (No MIME-Version: 1.0

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 22:30:17 +0100

Hi Sue,

Put very simply, a disk clean up simply removes files which
are no longer required such as those in the Recycle bin.

This leaves the disk looking like a piece of Swiss cheese
with gaps all over it where files have been removed.

Defrag re-organises the files on your system or effectively
it "tidies them up".  If you don't defrag, then when the
system needs space, it uses whatever holes it can find
first, and as a result, information can get spread all over
the place.  The net result is that your disk drive often
works overtime gathering bits of files together when you
need them.

George.