[jaws-uk] Re: More questions on skype

  • From: "Vanja Sudar" <vanja@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 11:57:27 +0100

Hi.

Regarding sounds: go to tools/options, in there find sound devices from the list, tab and you will see a box called "audio in", from there, if it's not already, select your current soundcard, tab again, you see a box called "audio out", again from there choose your soundcard, tab again and you'll see the box called ringing..there it's usually set to windows default device, if you wish you can choose your soundcard from the list there too. After that there are 2 checkboxes, one is to make your PC speaker ring when someone calls you, the other says: "let skype adjust your sound settings", I usually leave it checked and it does not cause any problems, but it's up to you. Regarding adding a contacts there may be two reasons why it's not working for you: 1. The contact you're trying to find simply doesn't exist/doesn't have skype, or 2. More likely you're experiencing a problem that has been a bug in skype for quite a while and it simply doesn't find people, this happens especially if the other person is using an older version of skype although that doesn't necesearry has to be the case. However, there is a way around it, in stead of clicking on "ad a contact" in the contact menu click "search" and then fill in as much or as little information as you want about the contact you'd like to add. This should work and skype shold find the contact, chose the contact from the list (of course there might only be one contact), click "add selected contact" and you're done.

The difference between chat and call is simply that chat means a text chat and call means a voice call. By default when you press enter on a contact it will call it. If you want to have a text conversation you right click a contact and choose "start chat". Default behaviour can be changed through settings in general part of skype preferences.

HTH
Vanja
http://www.sudar.co.uk
MSN messenger: sudar23@xxxxxxxxxxx