[jaws-uk] Re: Landmarks

  • From: "Phil Medway" <philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 12:21:24 +0100

Hi Robin,

It's both in a way.

A development known as ARIA, which is a sort of accessibility extension to mark-up languages, is gradually creeping in to web pages and is being made useful to us by incorporation of its benefits in to browsers and screen readers.

ARIA stands for Accessible rich internet applications.

Jaws10 recognises a number of its features and IE8 and to some extent IE7 recognise ARIA.

Landmarks seem to be the most used at present but there is a set of other accessibility issues which ARIA could be used to resolve.

See the link below for more detail:
http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/

Regards,

Phil Medway.