[jaws-uk] Re: Jaws 6

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 22:52:57 -0000

Hi,

How I understand it is that the code is your own personal authorisation
code which is either available by typing in or on a file on a CD.
Together with this auth code and the serial number and the machine ID
(which is generated when JFW runs to get your machine fingerprint), this
makes up your authorisation.

The reason you need the code is because say I knew your serial number
was 1234567, I could just type that into the box no problem, and
potentially use an activation.  The other thing is this code provides a
secure way of allowing registration through less secure ways (i.e,
through the telephone or through a website).

Although I am not that fond of the new system (because I now need to
spend money on a dongle), it is well implemented and they have covered
all the bases.

Andrew.