[jaws-uk] JAWS WOULDN'T SHUT UP

  • From: "Wendy Sharpe" <w.sharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Jaws'" <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 20:42:07 +0100

I have just had a very peculiar experience which I would like to tell you
about.

I wrote a message to the good people at Which magazine, and I usually
proof-read my e-mails before sending in case I have made some glaring typing
or grammar errors.  I pressed insert down arrow to say all, and the message
went well until it got to my name at the bottom.  Then JAWS wouldn't stop
saying my name - over and over again.  I thought to myself, "I am sure I
only wrote it once".  I swear I hadn't a drop taken, your honour, so I
thought I was going mad.  I stamped on the control key, but to no avail -
JAWS wouldn't shut up.  I fixed it by pressing control home to go to the top
of the file, and then silence.  JAWS had finally shut up for good!  Pressing
alt tab got me into a message from a friend which I hadn't even opened, but
by dint of pressing the same keys a few more times I got back to my original
message, went to the bottom of the file to make sure there was only one
occurrence of my name, and then sent it.

Usually I get situations where JAWS stops speaking for no apparent reason,
although I have probably pressed a wrong key somewhere along the line.  In
this case I try alt control delete to get to the task manager, but that
doesn't always work, so it means trying to shut down with Windows key U,
then tabbing once and pressing enter.  If this doesn't work it means turning
off at the mains, which might cause some damage, I am told, although I have
never found it did.  Re-booting solves the problem, and I can then go back
to what I was doing before.

If anyone has any bright ideas as to why this peculiar thing happened I
would love to hear from you.  I have just joined the list, so I hope this is
not too stupid a problem.

Wendy