[jaws-uk] Re: Help He can then read it using a program called Newsreader produced for this reading TNAUK publications. They are read on the web but all the clutter is cut out.

  • From: "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 16:10:35 +0100

You would probably benefit from reading and even going through the surfs up
training program provided with JAWS.  There is a link to it in the help menu
under web resources.

You can read the articles in the same way as you would read a word document
either by using up and down to move through the article and back if required by
line or jaws  with down arrow to read everything from the cursor onwards.

I don’t know if you have started teaching this person JAWS yet but if not then
I would suggest he learns something else before the Internet e.g. email.  This
will get him used to document navigation while allowing him to achieve
something by sending an email.  Using the internet is one of the hardest things
to teach as every webpage is different so you can only teach a general set of
rules.  If the person is well adjusted and determined he will do well but if he
is the kind of person who never listens who is still rather bitter about losing
his sight he may well find the internet  quite frustrating.  Patients is really
important as there is no substitute  for practice.  I find that in general
teaching someone who does not have access to the internet between lessons is
therefore particularly tricky.

If he really insists on reading that paper he may wish to  join Talking
Newspapers Association as he can download the newspaper or have it sent to him

Regards

Graham

Graham Page

Home Phone: 0207 265 9493