[jaws-uk] Re: Gates Signs Deal On Software For The Blind

  • From: "Will Pearson" <will-pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:56:42 -0000

Hi Nigel,

I don't know whether it will affect Longhorn.  However, Longhorn is already
looking really good in terms of accessibility.  Microsoft have introduced a
replacement for MSAA, called UI Automation, which looks very impressive, and as
I've previously mentioned, there will be programatic access to graphics drawn
using vectors.  So, all the ingredients are there at the operating system level.

The ball is now in the court of the access technology vendors, and time will
show what they bring.

It's worth while remembering that Microsoft have been including support for
people with disabilities for some time now.  It initially started off with the
deaf and hard of hearing, and then branched out to cover other disabilities.
However, most of the things that are done by sighted users of a computer don't
translate that well into speech.  Speech is a sequential and linear output
modality, whilst vision is one that is parallel in nature.  So, most of the
interactions that are designed for use by sighted users won't work with speech,
and these are the sort of interactions that are fundamental to successful use
of some types of software, such as drawing applications.  It is this domain of
parallel presentation where I see the challenge for this decade, both in terms
of academic research and as to where, in my opinion, technology vendors should
be looking.

Will