[jaws-uk] Accessing Amazon

  • From: "Ken Reid" <ken.reid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jaws Users" <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 09:28:38 +0100

All,
Further to the discussion on the accessibility of Amazon.  I would agree that
technically they conform to all the guidelines on accessibility.  But I would
suggest this does not necessarily create a site that is easy to use with screen
reading software like Jaws.

There is generally far too much information on each screen.  It takes a long
time to sift through the links that want to drag you off down one or other of
the multiple retail routes that Amazon want you to use.  Eventually, you do
find the desired link, but it is often buried in a mass of other stuff.

And I haven't yet found a key combination that allows me to step quickly
through the results of a search.  Each product identified has several links, so
stepping by link is slow.  Pressing N or P to step through the page does not
seem to be an effective way of getting to the product description of the next
product on display.  Unlike several other retailers, they don't use headings
very well, there is no heading level in the product overview page, though this
improves slightly when you get to the detail.  I find that not all music
products have a track listing.  Certainly, many do have a track list heading,
and when there is no heading, I've assumed there is no track listing - maybe I
just haven't spent the time sifting through all the links to find the list.

So, technically accessible, but only usable if you have a lot of time to spare.

Would be interested if others have found ways of speeding up the process.

Ken