[j-say list] Re: j-say Digest V7 #78

  • From: "Glitch Matrix, CMD" <glitch.matrix.cmd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: j-say@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 13:09:52 -0700

.

Hello, Ariane,

I personally have a Dell Inspiron 1721, so I can relate not having an
applications key where it should be.

As a temporary solution, I learned that pressing Shift + F10 opens the
context menu on a focused item.  This became ridiculously inconvenient
as it required two keys, one of which is located all the way on the
back row of the keyboard.

Eventually, the permanent solution that I applied is to remap the
right control key to become the applications key.  I've experimented
with remapping the right Alt key to become the applications key, but I
figured out that I didn't like that as I often use right alt + enter
to open the properties dialog box.  If the right alt and right control
keys are both equally important to your daily use, then select a less
important key that you can assign as the applications key.

the program that I use is called SharpKeys, and it does the remapping
on the registry level.  In other words, set it and forget it.
SharpKeys is accessible for the most part.

If you are interested in taking a look at this program, visit:
http://www.randyrants.com/2008/12/sharpkeys_30.html

I hope that helps.

Signed,
van