[j-say list] first questions

  • From: Jean Menzies <jemenzies@xxxxxxx>
  • To: J-say list <j-say@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 16:59:01 -0600

Okay.  I've just installed jSay standard and have a few questions.

First, I had to get help with the training text because I'm one of those
unlucky people with an ATI video card.  The first letters of the words on each
line were missing, and it was hard to follow.  Would it be possible to have the
training text posted on the T and T website as a reference?  I'd like to copy
it down in case I want to retrain Dragon or for when I change to a new mic and
start fresh. I have time between work projects and just wanted to get started,
even if it's with the included mic.

Second.  I'm just starting to work through the Getting Started stuff, and I am
not getting the same stuff as Brian says.  For instance, I can't relaunch
Dragon from the desktop.  Well, I can, but I can't alt-tab to it and only have
access through the system tray. I hear the generic stuff about the Nuance
blurb, but then it disappears into the background.  Is that correct

I did manage to turn the mic on and launch Word and dictate text, but again, a
few questions.  I didn't get any choice of profile or indication that my voice
profile was loaded.  Is this perhaps just because this is Dragon Preferred and
maybe only one voice profile is allowed anyway? I'm fine with that, but as a
new user, I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Last question for now.  I'm not getting any sounds of turning the mic on or
off.  My Windows sound scheme is windows default if that makes a difference.

I'm pretty sure I followed everything, but how do I enable sound feedback?

Hey, even right away I'm very impressed.  It's not perfect, but pretty darned
good for right out of the box.

Jean